I’m a huge fan of classic Italian food, but I definitely also enjoy some fusion. The meatballs in this recipe are kind of a fusion of Italian and American food. But more importantly; they are friggin’ delicious. The sauce is also really good, in spite of being so simple. Enjoy! 😉
Meatballs with tomato sauce and spaghetti:
Ingredients for meatballs:
500 g minced meat (beef)
1,5 dl bread crumbs
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1,5 tbsp ketchup
1,5 tbsp barbecue sauce (I preferably Heinz or Sweet Baby Ray’s)
Ingredients for tomato sauce:
600-700 g tomato passata
2 garlic cloves
2 tsps oregano
2 tsps bazil
Other: spaghetti, mozarella cheese
- Set the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (convection(.
- Chop the onion finely and crush the garlic
- Whisk the egg with a fork in a bowl and add the onion, garlic, meat and bread crumbs. Mix it a bit.
- Add spices, ketchup and barbecue sauce and mix, until the mixture is cohesive, but not too firm.
- Use your hands to roll into about 25 meatballs and place on a baking sheet. Put in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, heat some water with salt for the spaghetti.
- When 10 minutes have passed, start on the tomato sauce. Add the passata to a pot and heat.
- Crush the garlic cloves and add to the sauce together with the spices. At this time your water should also be boiling, so add the spaghetti to the water and turn down the heat on both the boiling water and the sauce.
- Heat the sauce through and taste it. It should taste of garlic, but not too much. If it’s too strong, add a bit of ketchup or water to the sauce.
- Take the meatballs out of the oven and let cool at bit. Drain the spaghetti, and remove the sauce from the stove.
- Serve with mozzarella cheese on top.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as you will surely enjoy the meal. 😉